May 20, 2013
Ben and Sam talk about the circumstances under which they’d feel comfortable recommending that a manager be fired, then discuss different beliefs about hot streaks.
- Managers on the hot seat
- Question from Dane (Kansas): "Does Ned Yost need to be fired? The Royals were off to a good start but have faltered lately. Kansas City seems actually trying to win this season and I'm wondering if a new voice might help the team not drop out of contention. I understand that a manager probably does not affect that much in terms of wins and losses, but a move could signal a heightened sense of urgency."
- Origin of the term 'hot seat' (follow-up in Episode 207).
- Wobbly Chair (originally called Wobbly Seat)
- Hot streaks
NBA Jam SNES, "He's on Fire"
- Ben says he binged episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation over the weekend.
- Sam estimates that 2-6% of a manager's job is visible
- Sam on reliever usage: "If I had a good reliever I would destroy him with glee. It would be like a four year old roasting an ant with a [magnifying glass]. I would just torture him."