Ben and Sam preview the Orioles’ season with Derek Carty, and Pete talks to MLB.com Orioles reporter Brittany Ghiroli (at 13:22).
- Baltimore Orioles Season Preview
There is a discussion about the ordering of the season preview series. The ordering is by division and in the order of the previous season's record. The series started with the east because of "East Coast Bias."
- Derek Carty authored the Baltimore Orioles chapter for Baseball Prospectus 2013.
- Both Derek and Ben believe Baltimore's 2012 success was "a mirage."
- In 2012 Baltimore won 93 games, finished in second place in the AL East, and qualified for the American League Wild Card Game.
- Derek believes that Baltimore's offseason moves have been conservative and this is a reflection that the team's management is not convinced that they are a contender.
- Ben asks about the contract extensions for Buck Showalter and Dan Duquette.
- Sam asks Derek about Baltimore pitcher Brian Matusz who was transitioning from rotation to bullpen.
- Derek predicts that Baltimore would finish seven games below .500 and Sam quickly points out that this would be impossible because there is an even number of games on the schedule. Baltimore finished eight games above .500 (85-77).
- Derek also says that the Red Sox would likely finish in last place. They won the World Series.
- In the next segment, Pete Barrett asks Brittany about Baltimore's newly signed pitcher Jair Jurrjens.
- Baltimore prospects Dylan Bundy and Kevin Gausman are mentioned as candidates for Double-A; however, Brittany suggests they both might be called up by July.
- Pete is also skeptical of Baltimore's 2012 success.