January 27, 2017
Ben Lindbergh and Jeff Sullivan banter about baseball’s trampoline problem and the future of Andrelton Simmons, then discuss and critique the crowdsourced organizational rankings produced by FanGraphs readers.
- Reviewing Fangraphs' crowdsourced rankings
- Chicago Cubs
- Cleveland Indians
- New York Yankees
- Atlanta Braves
- San Diego Padres
- A.J. Preller
- Los Angeles Angeles
- Fangraphs reader tendences
Camera Obscura, "I Don't Do Crowds"
Smith Westerns, "Weekend"
Episode outtake sound clip
- Kike Hernandez was spotted at a trampoline gym. This is the first of many times on Effectively Wild that Jeff will discuss why he continues to be baffled that anyone, let alone MLB players, would go on trampolines.
- Player contracts that prohibit certain activities
- Episode 1008 follow-up: Several listeners wrote in to say that a player like Andrelton Simmons, who has a high WAR because of defensive value, could become the highest WAR player to never make an All-Star game.
- The Fangraphs crowdsourced rankings were inspired by the discussion Ben and Jeff had about the Orioles in Episode 1009.
- The Cubs were the highest rated team, with a rating of 4.81/5. The Padres and Reds were lowest at 1.17 and 1.16, respectively.
- Jeff thinks that the Braves fans on Fangraphs are "insane people" for ranking the team 15th.